Friday, December 14, 2012

25 Days of Thankfulness: Day 14. Jealousy or Thankfulness?

Today a wave of jealousy washed over me. I found out that someone else had good news. It seems like everyone else has had good news this season, but none of it has sparked this reaction from me. I'll admit, I mentally sulked for a few minutes. Then I wondered why I was feeling this way. This new method of examining my motivations is really getting some use! I have exactly what this person has. More, in fact. They are just getting it in an earlier season of their life. They are getting it when I wanted it, but I had to wait. Very petty of me. So then I wallowed for a few minutes in jealousy AND shame.

But then I thought, ok, I don't want to continue with this. Pull yourself out of it, girl! How to accomplish this feat? Thankfulness. I immediately gave thanks for what I have. I was tempted to try and reason with myself that I am better off because I waited. That sounds like sour grapes to me. It is not true thankfulness to simply say you are better than others. To reason that your situation is more advantageous in some way. You must put aside the thoughts of other's situations. Think only of your personal situation and give thanks for it.

The strategy worked for me. I keep thinking about that other person and smaller waves of jealousy will come over me. But I just remind myself to be thankful and they go away. They are getting smaller each time, so hopefully this will be a one day thing and it won't even be an issue tomorrow.So I can truly say I've tried what I'm recommending to you, and it works. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment