Monday, December 24, 2012

25 Days of Thankfulness: Day 24. The Reason for the Season!

Let's reflect a bit. I've been encouraging you to do so. To reflect on your life, and be thankful for what you have. I went looking for reflections on thankfulness, specifically at Christmas. They were a bit difficult to find, so I'm making do with one meant for Thanksgiving. I'll give you the link here, but I wanted to say why it struck me first.

Firstly is the section on Jesus. Obviously, He's the reason for the season. I'm sure you've heard that saying. A bit hokey, but to the point. Without the birth of Jesus, you would have no grace, no forgiveness. You would have the chance of a snowball in Hell and a life filled with quiet desperation and little hope. So you can be grateful for his birth. The reflection talks about the story of the 10 lepers. All of them were faithful and obedient. I'm not perfect, but I like to think of myself as MOSTLY faithful and obedient  and working on doing better in that area. I think many of us can work on this. :) But only ONE was thankful. Only ONE came back to throw himself at Jesus's feet and be properly grateful. You should be that one. I know many have thought of the other 9 as being uncouth and ungrateful. Make sure you are not considered among their number!

Here's why: If you are not grateful, your life is being robbed of joy. Without thankfulness, you let discontent enter your life, and with it a host of other problems. They make you focus on what you don't have. They blind you to goodness and beauty. There is so much in this world to be grateful for. Thankfulness lets joy into your life! It allows you to see past your own existence and peer into the lives of others. Without thanks, you have anger and resentment. Don't let those cheat you of joy! Be thankful, and allow gratitude to enrich your life with joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment