Sunday, December 16, 2012

25 Days of Thankfulness: Day 16. Be Thankful to Be Prepared!



The motto of the Boy Scouts is Be Prepared. Obviously I was never a Boy Scout, but my mom and dad taught me the same thing. I have always tried to be prepared, but over the years I have found myself equating it with having more and more material things. I would like to suggest that thankfulness be part of your preparedness. 

When you are thankful for the people and activities and goods in your life, you show them with words and actions. This leaves less room for regrets. You probably can't eliminate regrets altogether, but when disaster strikes, you'll know you told the people you loved you appreciated them. You will have enjoyed your favorite activities fully, and used your goods well and not squandered them. 

It may not help in the immediate aftermath of a disaster. But later, when the initial flood of emotions and stress has worn off, the thankfulness you have hopefully made a habit will surface and let you re-appreciate what you have and remember anything you lost with only fondness and a little sadness, not regret. I can speak from experience, as I have learned this from not being prepared in this way. Today I am thankful I have learned from the error of my ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment