Wednesday, December 5, 2012

25 Days of Thankfulness: Day 5. Turn that Frown Upside Down!

Yesterday I wrote about being thankful for negative things. What I truly meant was the absence of something bad. But what if bad things happen to you? All of us have had something truly unpleasant happen in our lives, even if nothing horrible or catastrophic has occurred. I wrote about being grateful you are not sick. What if you are? I'm about to go a little Pollyanna on you. :)

Now, you don't have to be glad that you're sick, like Pollyanna. But there is usually a little bit of the situation that presents a chance to be grateful. Now rather than be hypothetical and have people be angry that I have no idea what I'm talking about, I'll present a small slice of my life. I wrote that I have my health, which is mostly true. Compared to many, many people, I am completely healthy. However, almost every other night, I wake up with back pain and cannot sleep. Not much seems to help, and I have no idea what causes it, which is frustrating. I'm already pretty tired with a four month old; this is NOT helping. So that all sucks.

However! there are two distinct bright spots. When I wake up with this pain, if my husband is home, he is very helpful. He keeps me company, he brings me heating pads and pain meds and tea. He bought me a back massager and installed it on my rocking chair so that if I hurt and the baby wakes up, I can feed him and continue to try getting the pain under control. I can't really be properly grateful at the time, but later I make sure to thank him. And every morning I wake up without having been woken by pain the night before, I can appreciate my son's smiles and smile back at him. This morning that's what I was thankful for.

I'm not saying you have to be grateful for an affliction. But it is truly an ill wind that blows no good. Usually there's a little something you can be thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment