Tuesday, December 18, 2012

25 Days of Thankfulness: Day 19. Direction!

Thankfulness implies a two person relationship. You cannot thank an inanimate object. You can be thankful for it, but you can't actually thank the object itself. Well, you could, but you would be assigning it a spirit, which makes it a person and takes this post off topic. Basically you need two souls; one to give thanks and one to receive it.

Obviously, when you thank another person, you can see how this works. But what about when you give thanks for objects in your life? What about when you are thankful for a sunset or the fact that you're alive? You are thankful to a higher power, whatever you believe to be in charge of your life. I'm telling you to look in the direction you are sending your thanks. If you aren't sure who is on the other end, maybe it's time you thought about it.

I've mentioned church and God before, it should be no surprise that I'm Christian. I debated whether to go ahead and talk about that on my blog. At least more than I already have. But all my hang ups aside, that's the reason I'm thankful.

25 days of thankfulness is counting down to Christmas. When I am thankful, I am really thanking God. Many articles I've looked at online tell you that incorporating gratitude in your life will enrich it. It will improve the quality of your life, and possibly even the quantity. They don't tell you WHY. I'm certain a sense of gratitude towards people in your life will help your relationships and give you a better mental outlook. But I know that being thankful to God will improve your relationship with Him and THAT is going to make your life something special. That's the direction we are heading in. There are 7 days left in this series and it culminates in the birth of Jesus. Just know that's where we are going from here. I'm not planning on being evangelistic. I'm pretty bad at that, actually. I'm just planning on telling you how I take everything I've told you about thankfulness in my life and wrapping it up with the whole reason I am thankful in the first place. Today I am thankful for the courage to write this and have the commitment to keep going till we are done. I almost took the easy way out and tried to fill the last of this with fluff.

[This post will be a little early. I am noticing that people seem to like it better when I post by 8am, and since there is no guarantee of that for me tomorrow, I'll just post a bit early. :) ]

No comments:

Post a Comment