Sunday, December 23, 2012

25 Days of Thankfulness: Day 23. Center yourself!

Hopefully you have been able to use some of the tips and tricks I've talked about to incorporate more thankfulness into your life during this Christmas season. You may have started but then realized as you go to bed that you have petered out, or you could have been more thankful during your day. Then you feel ashamed and guilty. At least that's how it goes for me. :) As we get closer and closer to Christmas I feel all that thankfulness slipping away. I am overwhelmed with stress and feeling physically sick. I feel guilty as I realize I don't WANT to put in the time required to keep up with family and friends and keep the peace and carry my son every minute of every day. He doesn't like to be put down.

But this is when you need thankfulness most. It's time to recenter yourself. Tomorrow and the day after will be crazy. You will be tired and harried and frazzled.( If you're not, could you please not tell me? I feel bad enough already.) So today, take that one minute I recommended. Give thanks for Christmas. Specifically for Christmas. Without it, we wouldn't have this wonderful season every year. Without it we wouldn't really have a concept of forgiveness, or grace, or love. Think about it. A parent gave their only child to save millions of other children. And they know many will never know or appreciate it.

Honestly, becoming a parent put me FARTHER from understanding the sacrifice involved. So instead of trying to wrap my brain around it, I give thanks. And you know what that brings? Peace, contentment, and joy. I don't need to understand, but I do need to give thanks. I feel protection settle over me when I do. Protection from stress, from fear, from extra guilt I don't need to carry. I'd like you to have that too! Take that one minute and give thanks. It will recenter your life on Christmas and focus your mind on the beauty of the holiday. Don't let anything try to weasel its way between you and joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment